Living in the New Forest

About the New Forest 


The Crown lands of the New Forest are divided between timber-growing inclosures and open forest comprising heath, lawn and ancient woodland.  


Forestry Commission 

The Forestry Commission is responsible for the management of the Crown lands, balancing opportunities for wildlife and conservation, timber production and public recreation.  Forest Keepers are responsible for the wildlife of the Forest.

If a commoning animal (pony, cow, donkey, sheep or pig) is in distress or to report a sick or injured deer, please contact the local Agister by telephone on 0300 067 4600.

To report road traffic accidents involving Forest stock, please phone the Police on 999.

To find out more about the work of the Forestry Commission in the New Forest, please visit their website: 


The Verderers of the New Forest 

The open forest is historically the domain of the New Forest Commoners with ancient 'Forest Rights' which are enshrined in Forest Law and are administered and enforced by the Verderers' Court.  The Verderers of the New Forest have statutory and judicial responsibility for the management of commoning, animal welfare and for the conservation of the open forest including grazing regulation.  The Court meets at 10am on the third Wednesday of each month (except in August and December) at the Verderers' Court adjacent to Queen's House in Lyndhurst and members of the public can attend.  

Further information on the Verderers of the New Forest can be found on their website:


New Forest Commoners' Defence Association 

The Commoners' Defence Association promotes, safeguards and represents the interests of the New Forest Commoners, particularly with regard to welfare of ponies, cattle and other stock.  

Information on the work of the CDA can be found on their website:

Animals have right of way on the highway and similarly, since property is enclosed rather than pasture, owners are responsible for fencing animals out of their property. Encroachment onto and damage of pasture is taken very seriously and dogs must be kept under control at all times.


Information for Residents 

The New Forest National Park Authority (NPA) has produced a "Welcome Home" leaflet for new residents of the New Forest which you can download here.  

The Forestry Commission has produced a series of information leaflets for residents of the New Forest which can be accessed via the links below: 



Header Image
Flood Alleviation & Riparian Ownership 



0345 988 1188


 The ditches and watercourses in the Parish play a vital part in clearing street or land water runoff, particularly in times of localised flooding.  

All residents are requested to be good neighbours by clearing watercourses for which they are responsible and being aware of applicable riparian laws created by the Land Drainage Act 1976.  This is enforced by the Environment Agency under powers granted by the Water Resources Act 1991 and the Environment Act 1995.  

If a ditch borders your property in any way then you and the neighbouring landowner have riparian ownership and are jointly responsible for maintaining it, even if there is a fence between your property and the ditch.  If the opposite side of the ditch is Crown land, it is your sole responsibility to maintain it.  Even if a ditch no longer appears to be wet, the responsibility to ensure that it is kept free of debris and other obstructions still applies.

More information on riparian ownership can be found in the Environment Agency's "Living on the Edge" guide to your rights and responsibilities.  

Prior permission must be obtained from the Environment Agency if you wish to alter a watercourse (for example, extend your property over the ditch).  This is to ensure there is no interference to the natural flow of the watercourse.  


More information on riparian ownership and flood alleviation can be found on the Environment Agency's website:

Information is also available from the National Flood Forum website:


To report a faulty or blocked watercourse please contact the Parish Clerk on 01590 622829

or New Forest District Council on 023 8028 5000.



Header Image
Waste Disposal & Recycling


Efford Household Waste & Recycling Centre

Milford Road, Lymington, SO41 8EZ


NFDC Bulky Waste Collection Service

023 8028 5000


Pills, Tablets & Medicines

Pills, tablets and medicines can be taken to any pharmacy for disposal.  


New Forest Organisations


Forestry Commission

The Queen's House, Lyndhurst, SO43 7NH

0300 067 4600 

Verderers of the New Forest

General Enquiries & Official Verderer's Office, The Queen's House, Lyndhurst, SO43 7NH 

02380 282052 


Including out of hours emergencies

0300 067 4600 


Commoners' Defence Association

Countryside Education Trust

Regular playgroups, events and courses.  Accommodation and weddings.   

Treehouse Study Centre, Hartford Wood, Beaulieu, SO42 7YG

01590 612401 

Friends of the New Forest (New Forest Association)

An independent organisation dedicated to protecting and sustaining the traditional character of the New Forest.  

Chairman: John Ward 

New Forest Pony Breeding & Cattle Society

Secretary: Jane Murray   

01425 672775

New Forest National Park Authority (NFNPA)

Lymington Town Hall, Avenue Road, Lymington, SO41 9ZG

01590 646600

Natural England

The Government's adviser for the natural environment in England, helping to protect nature and landscapes for people to enjoy and for the services they provide.  

0300 060 3900

Environment Agency

Public body working to create better places for people and wildlife, and to support sustainable development.  

03708 506 506

New Forest Livestock Society

Pony sales held in May, September, October and November.  Adjacent to Beaulieu Road Station.



New Forest & Hampshire County Show

Three-day agricultural and equestrian show held in July.

New Park Showground, Lyndhurst Road, SO42 7QH

01590 622400