Parish Councils were established in 1894 when civic duties were separated from the Parochial Church Councils.
Brockenhurst is one of thirty-seven Parish and Town Councils within the area covered by New Forest District Council (NFDC) and is situated wholly within the New Forest National Park Authority (NFNPA). It has a population of around 3,400 including Wootton.
Councillors are elected every four years (usually coinciding with District Council elections): ten for the Brockenhurst ward and one to represent Wootton ward. The Parish Council makes decisions through its regular meetings with the elected Parish Councillors, all of whom are volunteers and give their time freely as community leaders to represent the views and aspirations of local people, with a view to making a real difference to the community.
The Council employs a part-time Parish Clerk who is responsible for supporting the Council in carrying out its functions and implementing its decisions. The Council's accounts are published annually and are subject to scrutiny by an internal and external auditor.
The Council works closely with NFDC, Hampshire County Council (particularly the Highways Department) and the NFNPA.
Brockenhurst Parish Council has responsibility for amenities such as the allotments at Black Knowl, the Playground at the Village Hall, most of the Churchyard at St Nicholas' Church, the bus shelter at Waters Green and the many benches scattered around the Parish.
As a result of a bequest from Miss Nalder in 1993, the Parish Council owns four flats at Homeforde House. These are let to local people over the age of 55 who could not otherwise afford to live in the Parish.